Pages

Thursday 24 July 2014

The Scarborough Bluffs

Well I completely failed at the "Three things in Two Months" plan. I have been doing a lot of exploring in my city though, and kind of getting into the travel spirit that way. I feel like I am getting better at finding things to do and escaping my boring bubble. I crossed a few more things off of my "Explore my city" list, but when I look at it now, I am just not as interested in doing a lot of the things on there anymore, same with my regular 30 Before 30 list which I mentioned before. I'm discovering more things I would like to do around Toronto and Ontario that would be way cooler than some of the things I put on my list before. I'm so happy it's summer now and I can spend weekends exploring and doing cool things and just living!

The things I crossed off my actual Explore My City list were:
-Take a Ferry to Toronto Island
-Visit Casa Loma
-Shop at St. Lawrence Market

I did end up exploring quite a bit more than what was on my list. I recently moved to the Scarborough area because it is cheaper to live here. My new place happens to be extremely close to the Scarborough Bluffs, which I had never seen before or even cared to see. This is kind of where my exploring began and made me get out there and see as much as I could in the past couple of months. I had a week off of work in the middle of May. My first day off I decided I was going to explore my new neighborhood and check out the Scarborough Bluffs. There are a whole whack of parks along the Bluffs so there are quite a few places to go. I found one that was only about a 10 minute walk from my place. It is called "Scarborough Bluff's Park". There is a small fence that attempts to prevent you from getting too close to the edge of the Bluffs but you can't really see anything from back there so most people just step right over them. I was in awe when I got close enough to the edge to see out towards the lake. I could not believe that this view was so close to where I lived, still right in the city. 



I took this picture with my iPhone thinking "this is the most beautiful picture I have ever taken!" haha. I bet it would be even nicer now that the trees are green. I love how the water changes colours. I don't know if you can tell but there's teeny specks down there which are birds on the lake. After seeing this I was so excited to continue along and see what else I could see. From up here, looking the opposite way, I saw a marina and a nice walking path down at the water so I decided I'd try to make my way down there next. This was my path down....



It was even steeper than it looks! I was carrying my huge purse, wearing non-hiking boots... Anyway, this lead me right to the entrance of the marina. There was a walking path that went out into the lake a bit with great views of the Scarborough Bluffs from below. 



I was surprised at how clear the water looked over here, considering it was dirty Lake Ontario, haha. 


I made my way towards the bluffs.









I wish you could tell how big they were, the pictures don't do it justice. Oh well! I knew that further along the lake there was a park called Cathedral Bluff's Park. It was supposed to be really beautiful so I decided to head that way. I was hoping I could walk along the lake and find a way up to the top of the bluffs later on. I ended up walking for quite a while until I came upon a small beach. 


This is the only picture I really have at the beach...I sat for a while just relaxing below the bluffs and staring out at the lake. There wasn't really anybody else there because it wasn't that hot out and it was the middle of the day on a Monday. There didn't seem to be a way up to the bluffs from the beach so I had to walk back the way I had come. I took some side streets and found Cathedral Bluff's Park. I had to walk over a small fence again. The view really was beautiful from there. 



You can see the beach I was sitting on in the picture above.  The view towards the marina is in the picture below.




By the time I got to Cathedral Bluff's Park I was incredibly thirsty so I ended up walking back home after this which is when I realized I was extremely sunburned. It was the worst sunburn of my life!! It wasn't even that hot outside so I was really surprised at how badly I burned. Since then I have been making sure to have sunscreen on when I am out in the sun for more than a few minutes so at least I learned my lesson! 

I ended up taking my sister back here a few weeks later and we got a couple good panoramic pictures.



My first trip being a tourist right around my home was such a success. I actually had a really great time just wandering around and seeing the sights and taking pictures by myself. It was relaxing I guess and just made me so happy. It made me more excited to explore more places in and around Toronto. I've always thought I lived in a beautiful place but I am realizing it is even more beautiful than I thought and there's so many places that are sort of close by that are just amazing. This first little walk set up my summer for adventure and opened my eyes to how much there is to do in Ontario. I can't wait to see what else I can discover right in my own province!

No comments:

Post a Comment